Thursday, May 11, 2006

Installed

Sunday was a wonderful day--despite my earlier rant about installations. At the time of each of my installations, my Mom has made the same joke about plugging me in like a refridgerator. But hah! I discovered today that the earliest use of the word install is from the 1500s and refered to placing a bishop into ecclesiastical office by the act of him sitting in the bishop's "stall" in the cathedral. The word install is not found to refer to the setting up of machinery until the late 19th century.

I found this wonderful info here. Prepare to waste hours and warn your parishoners to expect some of those "word analysis" sermons over the next few weeks.

4 comments:

kwpershey said...

I love that site. I have to pretend it doesn't exist, or it will suck me in for hours.

I'm so glad to know that "installation" is better than I thought. Congratulations on yours.

Anonymous said...

Glad to know that you're duly installed and that the way was clear, and all that Presbo jazz .

Jules said...

Well, that's a time-suck I don't really need to check out any further...but maybe i'll bookmark it just in case, y'know. ;)

Sue said...

We call it "covenanting" here, but I like the plugging in the fridge metaphor too.