Saturday, October 06, 2007

Lost Pleasures

In spite of the many high tech advantages and entertainments available to today's kids, there are some joys they are missing.

This morning my kids were watching some freakishly awful cartoon involving Alvin and the Chipmunks and a Werewolf.

"Where do they find singers who have such high, squeaky voices?" my second-grader wondered aloud.

"They don't," I explained. "Those are just regular singers' voices played back on a higher speed."

She looked puzzled. And I realized that my kids have never and never will relieve an afternoon's boredom by putting random 33s on the turntable, playing them at 45speed and giggling hysterically. The day my best girlfriend and I tried this with "Barry Manilow Live" we about peed our pants. It also turned Rod Stewart's "Do You Think I'm Sexy" into an entirely different kind of song.

Ipod, Schmipod.

4 comments:

Alex said...

hahahaha! great post.

Lori said...

LOL. Barry Manilow on overcrank! That is too funny.

zorra said...

LOL!! They'll never know what they've missed.
(And if you take the 45 of "Daydream Believer" and play it at 33, Davy Jones' voice on the spoken part at the beginning is really sexy.)

Rev Dave said...

Makes you wanna hit the tag sales and find an old record player and old albums just so they can join in the fun, doesn't it?

There's nothin' like a 78 played at 33 rpm.