Friday, October 12, 2007

Clueless

Okay. Now I'm mad.

I went to a local coffee shop this afternoon to work on my sermon. At a table near mine there was a young man reading a book on 21st century Christianity. Presently an older gentleman arrived and joined him. I recognized this gentleman as one of the movers and shakers in the local chapter of an organization for Christians of the progressive persuasion. I've met him before, but he did not give any sign of recognizing me.

They were close enough to me that I couldn't have avoided overhearing their conversation unless I'd actually gotten up and moved. It turns out, the young man is moving soon to a Town Down the Road. He wondered if Progressive Older Gentleman might have any suggestions regarding like-minded clergy there he might get in touch with when he arrives.

POG responded that, until recently, he would have suggested RevGal Friend of Mine, but that when he had approached her about being involved in the Organization for Christians of the Progressive Persuasion, "she really gave me the cold shoulder."

Here's the thing. Another POG approached me about the same thing. Specifically, he wanted me to be on the steering committee of the local chapter. I heard him out, then responded that being the working mother of two young children, I had to choose my commitments carefully. I said that I support many of the OCPP's goals, but regretfully, I can't take on a leadership role right now. People pleaser that I am, I felt badly about this and said so in a conversation with RevGal Friend of Mine. She shared that she too had been approached about joining the steering committee and had responded exactly as I had. (Well, the number of children is different in her case.)

That a self-proclaimed "progressive" would interpret a working mother's struggle to balance her ministry calling with her family's needs as "giving him the cold shoulder" makes me just about catatonic with rage.

Got a deal for you bud. You come to my house, make dinner for my family, fold five loads of laundry and help my kids with their homework. Then I'll go to your damn meetings. So there.

9 comments:

more cows than people said...

sheesh. yah. totally clueless.

but, um, what are the odds that other clergy folks would be at said coffee shop simultaneously- is it a clergy magnet?

Lori said...

Sometimes I honestly wonder if those conversations are meant to be overheard.

And the blind audacity of the fellow also makes me angry, as well, too, like you. I say we roll the guy in the alley one night after one of his meetings. It would have to be late, after laundry, dinner and homework for me too.

Sheesh! *still shakin' my head*

zorra said...

Calling the Texas Towncar o' Justice...

Unknown said...

This is sort of the same thing I say when people claim the only authentic ministry is of the tent-making variety.

Jennifer Garrison Brownell said...

grrrrr.

Anonymous said...

Sounds completely like a male thing. I was asked similar thing recently but it was a woman who asked. Told her I could barely do all my mom things/pastor things now and I'd love to but couldn't

She got it. No criticism. No "cold shoulder" comment.

Not sure the male clergy guy has ever had to do much juggling.

Princess of Everything (and then some) said...

Did you say anything to him? Correct it? Or will the situtations not allow it?

Ringelstrümpfe said...

How nice! And I am sure after that he went home to a nice cooked meal, kids with finished homework and done laundry. Oh, how I 'love' these people!

St. Casserole said...

well said!

POG doesn't get it.