Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Eighteen years ago this week

I stood in front of a full congregation and promised to serve the people with "energy, intelligence, imagination and love." (From the Presbyterian ordination vows.)

I was twenty-five years old. I was single. Folks from the church lent me furniture for my house because I owned almost nothing of my own aside from a futon and a TV. My mom and grandma were both elders, so they were among those who laid hands on me during the ordination. I invited lots of my seminary friends to the event. It just so happened that most of the ones who could make it were male. This started tongues wagging about "all those boyfriends." (Though, in fact, only one of them had actually been my boyfriend in real life--and that only briefly.)

I've been a pastor longer than I've been a spouse, longer than I've been mother, and almost as long as I've been an adult. (I started seminary six weeks after my 21st birthday.)

As an ordination gift, the Senior Pastor gave me a book of Fairy Tales and wrote on the flyleaf, " . . . given on the day you are set apart to tell The Greatest Story of All."

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

me too, (this week)

zorra said...

(PCIT)
Congratulations, and may God continue to bless your ministry!

P.S. My dad, who was in his mid-80's at the time, came forward and laid hands on me when I was ordained as an elder. That was a joy!

Unknown said...

Beautiful! Happy Anniversary!

spookyrach said...

Very cool!!!

Anonymous said...

And I'll have to remember that inscription the next time I give an ordination gift.

Lori said...

Happy Anniversary! What a lovely ordination gift and inscription.

Kathryn said...

Happy Anniversary to you (and to PPB as well, since we can't comment over at her place)- and lots of blessings on your ministry from henceforth too.
That inscription so fits with my thoughts at the moment...it's wonderful.

Princess of Everything (and then some) said...

What a sweet story!

Anonymous said...

Happy Ordiversary!

Gord said...

I love that ordination gift!

Gord said...

I am confused though. HOw could PPB be ordained that long ago? I thought she was a mere 27 years old?