Wednesday, May 04, 2005

Rebel Without A Pew

I'm not a rebel, really. If you're forty years old and still in the same denomination you started out with you pretty much disqualify yourself from that category. I have been without a pew, though, since I trotted off to seminary a few weeks after my twenty-first birthday. After that I never got to be a regular pew sitter again. Always at church in some official capacity, don'tcha know. So I have no clue what it's like to be a grown-up church member. There was youth group, then academia, then ordination. Sometimes I fantasize about sneaking off to some nice church where they don't know me and pretending to be a regular person. I think it would be good for me. But I don't have the time. Hey, I'm a working mother of two. I can barely get to my own services on time and without peanut butter on my stole. Oh well. I do know I'm not the only one out there suffering from this strange malady. So--in honor of all of us unlikely souls who've viewed the world from the perspective of the pulpit all their adult lives--a blog for us and anyone else who want to chime in.

No comments: