Wednesday, July 04, 2007

One Rig to Rule Them All

My husband has a new job. Same industy, different company. For the first time ever, he will have a company vehicle. He does not get to pick: he will inherit the one that was used by the guy he is replacing who is retiring. The vehicle in question is a big, white SUV.

Now, you have to understand that for the 14+ years that I have known him, my husband has never uttered the phrase "sports utility vehicle" without a certain modifier preceding it--sometimes two certain modifiers, the first profane, the second obscene. And now it turns out he will be driving one on a regular basis.

He took it out for a trial run the other morning--to drop the kids off at daycamp enroute to dropping me off at the church and then on to a meeting of his own. After we dropped the kids off, we came to an intersection with Yield sign. We patiently waited until it was our turn because, as my hubby said, "I'm not going to be like all the other SUV drivers who think the rules don't apply to them."

"I don't know," I said. "I think it may be like the Ring of Power. You think you're different, but eventually it turns you."

We shall see.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Maybe he needs a bumper sticker that says "this is a company car. I didn't pick this."

Unknown said...

Hope he'll have the wisdom of Gandalf, the courage of Aragorn and the coolness of Galadriel. Resist the Ring!

zorra said...

LOL! The pull of the dark side is strong...

Lori said...

There is a buddhist axiom somewhere that warns one not to put energy into what one objects to as that will attract said objection. I actually think there's a law in physics to that effect as well. Anyway, your husband now proves them both true!! LOL. It will be interesting to see how soon he calls his new vehicle "Precious".

Jennifer Garrison Brownell said...

LOL. I'm so jealous of the title of this post that it makes me want to just turn the computer right off. Well, almost.