Monday, June 04, 2007

A Little TOO Ordinary, Perhaps

My sermon yesterday was a plea for folks to be open to God speaking to us in extra-ordinary ways during Ordinary Time.

Five minutes after the service was over, several sharp-eyed members noticed that we had what appeared to be a big plumbing disaster in the works. The cap of one of the outside clean-outs had blown clear off and sewage was belching out into the parking lot. Our Sunday custodian pretty much is just a set up and clean up guy--not a diagnose and repair guy. After some head-scratching and some half-hearted searching for a plumber's snake, we all concluded that the only reasonable course of action at that point was to call Rescue Rooter.

They promised to send someone within the hour. So I settled down on a bench at a discrete distance to await his arrival. I could hear the Spanish service beginning and blissed out on their singing for a while. In due course the Rooter guy arrived and I spent the first Sunday of Ordinary Time watching him run a 90 foot snake through our sewer line. Then, as if that were not exciting enough he offered to run a free camera through the line to see what was really going on down there. Roots, of course. Growing through the offset joints in our fifty year old terra cotta sewer pipes.

As I drove home two hours after our service had ended I could almost hear God chortling, "Was that ORDINARY enough for yah, Honey?"

6 comments:

spookyrach said...

Ha ha! Love it!

Unknown said...

What a great story! I'm headed in a similar direction next Sunday, so thanks for the warning.

Diane M. Roth said...

Yep... that's ordinary... like vaccuuming the water off of the church basement floor on Easter morning...this is REALLY what they mean when they say "God works in mysterious ways"

Edward said...

I would be *so* grateful for an ordinary Sunday at my place. Although I'm not sure any of us would recognize it, it would be so unusual :-)

Thanks for dropping by. Nice place you have here. Where are you in CA?

JWD said...

priceless!

Anonymous said...

I wonder what you'll preach about NEXT Sunday...