Saturday, September 09, 2006

Okay, that didn't work . . .

For years, we have grown our own basil for use in pesto and other summery sauces. There is always some excess that we can't use fresh and that we have always washed, patted dry, then nuked in the micorwave until it dries. Then we either crumble it by hand or whiz it quickly in the food processor and save it for dishes requiring dried basil flakes.

This morning as I was puttering in the kitchen, I noticed we were developing quite a pile of extra chili-peppers from the bumper crop in our backyard.

"Aha!" I thought. "I bet the same process we use on the basil would work on these little peppers! We can make our own red pepper flakes!"

So I washed and dried about a dozen of them, spread them out on some paper towel, and stuck them in the microwave. After about six seconds, I began to hear loud POPS that sounded suspiciously like exploding chili-peppers. I turned the microwave off and opened the door. The kitchen was immediately enveloped in a choking wave of pepper mist--kind of like the pepper spray they use to subdue violent criminals. We coughed, sneezed, and wiped our streaming eyes.

"I think," my husband said helpfully, "that we'd better let the rest just dry on the counter."

7 comments:

Jules said...

Funny! Although I'm sure it didn't seem that way during clean-up.

Unknown said...

Oh, man. This sounds like one of my brilliant ideas.

Anonymous said...

As a hot pepper grower (Scotch Bonnets and Habaneros) may I suggest that with an excess crop you just cut them in half, clean out the seeds and ribs, put them in a jar with vinegar and keep them in the fridge. My last crop has lasted a year and a half that way.

Anonymous said...

Oh my.

Princess of Everything (and then some) said...

I would have thought it was a great idea at the time!!

Bet I know what your kitchen smells like!

spookyrach said...

hee hee hee!

Susie/Nueva Cantora said...

Oh dear. That does sound like it should've been a good idea...

I am in desparate need of basil-growing tips. Mine stays awfully small...