Thursday, October 13, 2005

What I actually said . . .

Being a musical person, I like musical anaolgies. Small church ministry is like playing chamber music: while there is great skill involved, the logistics are simple, each player's role is clear, and communication can be intuitive with little or no need for formal conducting. Large church ministry is like leading a symphony orchestra: there are whole sections to coordinate as well as individual players, there are varying parts to assign within each section, communication must be formal and thorough, and there is a clear need for a dynamic leader with the ability to communicate an artistic vision that unleashes the best talents of everyone in the organization. . .

Then I went on to discuss specific experience, qualifications, etc.

I suppose if any readers out there sit on this particular PNC, you now know my secret identity! Oh well.

7 comments:

reverendmother said...

Nice!

It also shares that you are musical, which many churches find to be a nice perk in a pastor.

Hope this good response serves you well!

Jules said...

Very well done. And I agree with RM about the musical "perk". (I was asked "Do you sing"? by my PNC.) Having a vocabulary of music will probably bode well.

Jody Harrington said...

If I were on the PNC that asked you this question, I would be positively impressed by this response. I hope they are, too!

Unknown said...

That's very well done, just wonderful.

Susie/Nueva Cantora said...

Metaphors are so great for this kind of thing... and I find the required creativity can mend a snarky mood :)

LutheranChik said...

Cool. There's usually some cross-pollination between call committees and church musicians, too.;-)

Cathy said...

I prefer chamber music! I sing in a chamber choir and the metaphor makes perfect sense to me!
Cathy