Sunday, October 16, 2005

Off to Hobnob with my fellow wizards

Cheers everyone. I'm off to Presbyterian Conference Center with Gambling Options Close By for a Pastor/Theologian seminar. Our question for the year: What role does the church play in Christ's saving work?

My working hypothesis is that most North American Christians, regardless of the ecclessial tradition with which they affiliate, see salvation as something strictly between themselves and Jesus and the church is sort of beside the point--a helpful add-on to nurture one's walk in faith and manage wider efforts towards addressing poverty, injustice, moral disintegration, etc. If one's current congregation or denomination isn't doing that, in your own humble opinion, you are free to bail and either find another church or go it alone.

What do you all think?

I may be out of blog range for a few days. See you on the flip side.

7 comments:

Jules said...

ZP is one of my favorite places in the world. To my family, it is a place with many skiing options nearby. We spent several year's worth of ski-weeks in Feb in cabins there.

Have a great week.

Anonymous said...

The location looks spendid. envy envy envy.. sorry but I am :(

be blessed :)

Jody Harrington said...

Holy Cow! I had no idea the presbies had a conference center near Lake Tahoe. WaaaaH!Wanna Go!

Anonymous said...

but you will not be gambling right? Unless it was fore-ordained, of course.

Becky Ardell Downs said...

Hope it was great for you! My pastor (and Grace's pastor) went there once many years ago (8? 9?) for Interim Training, I think. I hear it's gorgeous!
As for the question, it's a really good one. I agree with you on your hypothesis, and I'd love to hear more about what you come up with together with your fellow wizards.

Gord said...

Itr is a great question. And I too agree that in a world of individualized faith your hypothesis works. But I have a follow-up to the question:

When/how does the church get in the way of Christ's saving work Christ?

Apostle John said...

I love the name you give to ZP. I have been there only once -- and it was a great experience.