Sunday, September 07, 2008

Nicknames

Yesterdays news brought a story about how the 70's band Heart is officially not happy that the Republican party is using its biggest hit "Barracuda" at rallies where VP candidate Sarah Palin appears. They do this because Ms. Palin's high school nickname was Sarah Barracuda because of her fierceness on the basketball court.

I had to smile. This brought to mind a nickname I had in high school, at least for a while. It was . . .




Wait for it . . . .




WONDER WOMAN!!

It came about like this. I was co-teacher of the Little Fishes group at my parish church in England. (Little Fishes=Sunday School-like gathering of young elementary kids that happens mid-week.) One evening, I had to pick one of the group to be "it" in a game we were going to play. To do this I stood in the middle of the circle of children, closed my eyes, and spun around rapidly. I pointed at the kid who happened to be in front of me when I stopped spinning.

"Okay! You're it!" I cried, opening my eyes. But the kids were all pointing at ME and chanting "It's Wonder Woman!" Apparently my spinning around reminded them of how the Linda Carter character transformed herself from mild-mannered school teacher(?) to super-hero--by spinning around and around. I didn't really look anything like Linda Carter, (still don't), but I WAS American and I DID have long, dark hair, and with the spinning and all, I guess it was an easy connection for them to make.

They got such a kick out of it, that this became a regular feature of Little Fishes night. I would spin around to pick kids for games, speaking parts in skits, etc. Soon, the kids from this group stopped calling me by name and started calling me Wonder Woman--even when meeting me in the shops or at football matches.

It was fun, but of course it could not last. The wheels of time spun rapidly and I soon left that village to return to the U.S. to attend college. My secret identity as Wonder Woman faded into history.

Still--if I were ever to run for high office and this story were unearthed, I think it would be an asset, politically. And I would hope whoever wrote the theme song for Wonder Woman wouldn't mind it being played as I strode onto the stage at the National Convention.

What about YOU? What was YOUR high school nickname? Would it be an asset should you decide to seek elected office? What song would be associated with it?

6 comments:

Jody Harrington said...

Great question!

In high school my nickname was "The Archbishop" because I lived on a street named Canterbury Hill. But now I'm Moderator...so...maybe it was sort of prophetic?

I prefer my college nickname: "Facewoman."

ellbee said...

Oooohh and such cool theme music to go with it!

No fun nicknames for me... just variations of my last name.

Unknown said...

I had a boyfriend who called me "Muffin." I loved him, but I really didn't love the nickname.

Lori said...

In high school I was "The Duck"

In Covenant Players some called me "Lollipop"

and at one of my very early jobs I was "Irmagard Shagnasty" (before anyone here knew what "shag" means in British slang BTW)

As a motion picture production accountant I was known as "The Hawk". And that one I rather liked.

Jennifer Garrison Brownell said...

Muffin - tee hee! - That's REVERAND Muffin to you, pal!

My high school nickname was The Queen of Tact, because I was....not....

Sigh.

Gord said...

Somehow none of the nicknames I remember were pleasant. Bullying was alive and well in my school experience...