Saturday, January 12, 2008

Defining Your Terms

Phew! Back from a week at my annual lectionary-study-hob-nob-with-my-fellow-wizards group. A good week. I thought we all seemed tired this year, though. Not sure what's up with that.

Anyway, spent some time at dinner tonight catching up with the family, who did very well in my absence. My husband was remarking that it has been a deep joy to him in the past year to begin singing with our church choir and take voice lessons. He has never done either one before in his life, so this is a mid-life "new discovery" for him. He is very happy to discover, he said, that he is more than just a mediocre tenor.

"What is mediocre?" my son asked. "Just average," I answered. "Not absolutely awful, not amazingly great. Just kind of 'eh'".

Twenty minutes later our daughter showed me a picture she had drawn and asked, "Do you think this is yolky motor?"

Wha?????

"Yolky Motor. You know, what you and Dad were talking about earlier."

I shook my head. I had NO idea what she was talking about.

"You know. Not that good. Just okay. What was that word? Yolky Motor? Meaty Ogre?"

"You mean mediocre?" I asked.

"Yes! That's it! Mediocre!"

Her picture was better than that, but my sermon won't be unless I get back to work.

Good to be back!

4 comments:

Kathryn said...

Yolky Motor ;-)
I LOVE it...
Thanks for a Sunday giggle

imngrace said...

Ditto. Thanks for the giggle. It reminded me of when my son said, "My ski trip's in the bathroom?" I was saying something like there is Q-tip in the bathroom.

Jules said...

Meaty Ogre. Indeed.

LutheranChik said...

I know very well how it feels to be "yolky motor"!