Wednesday, July 27, 2005

It's not easy, bein' green

Last night we took the church kids to Oaks Park, an old fashioned amusement park down on the Willamette River. (More like a permanent fair midway than like a slick Six-Flags type place.) Since last summer my own kids have somehow graduated from kiddie rides and now want to explore more thrilling possibilites.

Sisters and Brothers, hear my testimony: My inner ear, she ain't what she used to be. I, who in my prime could fly on the tiltiest, spinniest, twistiest, twirliest rides that ever graced a theme park, found myself staggering off the Tilt-A-Whirl and lurching toward the nearest coke machine for some stomach settling elixer. I haven't turned that particular shade of green since a stormy English Channel crossing the winter I was sixteen.

Oh well, there's still the bumper cars--at least till my back gives out.

2 comments:

Sue said...

Oh, I soooo understand. I once had a particularly heinous encounter with a Tilt-a-Whirl. Since then I've tried to stay on the tame rides, or better yet, the beer gardens....

All the Fish said...

Nothing so disconcerting as the inner child meeting the inner ear.